Monday 25 October 2010

Focus Group

I have also decided to hold a focus group as part of my primary research into my target market and the Oasis brand. By holding a focus group, I have been able to collect qualitative data which gives me greater depth and understanding of the target markets opinion of Oasis.
I asked four of my friends who I know shop at Oasis to give me their opinions and discuss the questions I asked them. I made sure not to ask suggestive questions or influence their opinion.
Here are some of the main points I gathered from the focus group.

  • Why do you like shopping at Oasis?
Enjoyable shopping experience, good sales discounts, quite a sophisticated aspirational brand, offer student discount all year round, great for occasion wear.

  • What do you think is Oasis' unique selling point?
Oasis have a specific/loyal customer base (they know their customer well), offer all the latest trends but in a safe way, very feminine image and offer classic/ sophisticated styles.

  • From my survey most people shop at Topshop but fewer at Oasis. As Topshop is the main competition, what do you think makes people want to shop at Topshop rather than Oasis?
Topshop offers more variety in styles and trends, spoilt for choice and caters for every personality/style. Whereas, Oasis is very specific in their one style and offer much more streamlined/ conservative ranges.

  • Do you tend to go into Oasis if you are having a general browse, or are you more likely to go in Oasis if you have something particular in mind that you want to buy?
Tend to pop into Oasis as part of the general run on the high street. Definitely go to Oasis for a specific item as they usually have a good range of everything. Wont go in more than once in a week as they wont have received any newer styles in.

This exercise has been very helpful in building up a greater knowledge and understanding of the Oasis customer and the reasons why they shop there.