Wednesday 27 October 2010

Directional shopping

I have also undertaken an exercise in directional shopping to help me gain inspiration from a more influential, higher end, design lead brand. This will enable me to gain an insight into a more fashion forward brand and reflect some of their key trends in my own collection for Oasis.
I have chosen to look at French Connection for this task, as they share many of the same customers as Oasis as they also offer very feminine womenswear. However, French Connection are able to sell their products at higher prices and have a slightly more fashion forward look than Oasis' more conservative style.
This winter coat from French Connection is priced at £160 and is made from 70% Wool 20% Pa 10% cashmere. This coat makes an eye catching statement in bright red with the over-sized ruffle.

This is the closest Oasis version which is priced at £100 and is made from 2% Other Fibres,28% Polyester,70% Wool. It is £60 cheaper than the French Connection Coat because there is no cashmere in the fabric and therefore is not of the same superior quality. As you can see the ruffles on the Oasis coat are noticeably smaller, creating a safer, more understated style.

This is just one example, but from my overall evidence I can assertain that direction can be taken from French Connection by keeping in mind the use of higher quality fabrics and adding more attention grabbing details to my designs.